Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 9, 2012

I'm Not Stuck In A Rut, I'm Trending

Trying different techniques is a very large part of what is fun about making jewelry. It is especially fun when the technique doesn't cost any money. Or, any MORE money. Even though I'm sure I'd love metal clay or polymer bead making or even something as basic as soldering and using a torch, I don't try it because those things involve an investment in supplies or equipment or both (table top kilns start at about six hundred bucks).

But wire weaving, well that's free (she says as she runs out of 16 gauge wire because of all the wire weaving she's done)! I did the weave cages that I posted previously and think look cool. I have seen cabochons captured with weaved wire. Then there were all those crocheted and knitted wire things that looked nice but I was never, ever going to do because I can't crochet or knit. But then I was struck by inspiration. What if I weaved instead of knitting or crocheting? That I could do.


Here are a bracelet and a ring that I weaved. That I wove. That I weavated. That I made. I'm going to do more weaving. I'd like to try a flat weave with three weavey sticks. I'm sure there is a proper and technical name for "weavey sticks" but damned if I know what it is. Weave supports.

Sigh. O.K., I looked it up. And I still don't know what to call them. They're either called 'warp' or 'weft'. I'm going with 'warp': I'd like to try a flat weave with three warps. It's just a jump to the left. Let's do the three warps again!





Repeating a different pattern, here is a dragonfly to go along with all the other meadowland buddies I've been making lately. As if I'm not frightened to death of nature. The first time I saw a real dragonfly I shrieked like Jamie Lee Curtis babysitting on Halloween. I should make a cricket so that this spring when one sneaks into my house, hides and drives me crazy with the racket, I can symbolically drive a spiked heel through its exoskeleton.

No comments:

Post a Comment